The heart is a standout amongst the most one of a kind organs. This is on the grounds that it works for the duration of our existence without us notwithstanding understanding that it is contracting roughly seventy-two times each moment. Now and then, you really encounter this marvel. A palpitation is the sentiment the heart thumping in the mid-section, i.e., when one begins feeling the nearness of their heart and its working. A few people may gripe of them in the wake of eating or while lying on the bed. Given beneath are the different causes and routes by which you can manage palpitations when resting.
Causes and Treatments
- One of the most common yet under credited causes for this condition is intake of caffeine just before sleeping. Caffeine is a known stimulant, and it increases the metabolic rate in the body. Hence, it is quite possible that if you have coffee just before sleeping, especially if it is out of habit, then you may end up feeling your heartbeats. A simple way of avoiding this is to avoid taking in caffeine before sleeping.
- Just like caffeine, you should also avoid smoking or taking in nicotine just before sleeping. Even this acts as a stimulant and may lead to an increase in the heart rate. Same goes for any kind of energy drinks – they are a complete no-no just before bedtime.
- When a person has congestive heart failure, there is excessive pressure on the heart, and sleeping on the same side only worsens the condition. So, if you are having this specific symptom, along with other symptoms like shortness of breath, fluid retention, and unexplained weight gain, then you better see a doctor immediately, so as to have the condition diagnosed at the earliest.
- Sometimes, something as simple and subconscious as stress may also cause this condition at night. During the night, the brain tries and processes all the happenings of the day at a subconscious level. So, if you are under a lot of stress, it could translate into this situation. This could be avoided by ensuring that you get a sound sleep without any worries.
- One of the causes for palpitations to arise when you are in a supine position is a heart disease. When a person is lying down, the heart actually has to work harder so as to pump blood in the body, all the organs being at the same level. Thus, if a person has a burgeoning heart disease, it will only get aggravated at night. So, if you suffer from shortness of breath or chest pain, then try to run a few tests to check if you may be having a heart condition.
- Some women may complain of this condition during pregnancy. This may be brought on by the hormonal changes in the body and due to the increased demand of blood and nutrients, so as to nourish both the mother and the fetus. This may be merely temporary and symptomatic, however, if it becomes severe, one should visit the doctor immediately, to rule out any possible underlying condition.
- Other conditions include excess of physical activity just before bedtime, hyperthyroidism, anemia, anxiety disorders, fever, dehydration, etc. This may also occur as a side effect of some medication.
This was all about the various causes and treatments for palpitations when lying down. Some people even claim that this problem could be related to menopause. This condition may or may not resolve on its own. However, if it becomes severe or very frequent, then it is best to visit your health care practitioner so as to get your condition diagnosed and treated at the earliest.